Summer Programs & Opportunities
Girls Who Code Summer Programs
- The virtual Summer Immersion Program (SIP) is a live, virtual, 2-week introductory computer science course for currently eligible 9th, 10th, and 11th grade US students and international students ages 14-18. Through our new curriculum focused on Game Design, SIP participants will learn beginner to intermediate computer science concepts, UX design basics, and more – all while getting an inside look into the tech industry through incredible company partners. In addition to a completely free program, we offer grants up to $300 and tech support for qualifying students. For more information, visit the Girls Who Code website.
The University of Mary Washington is excited to announce the 2023 Summer Enrichment Program for rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors. During our one week multidisciplinary pre-college experience July 9-15, participants will join UMW professors for three engaging, meaningful courses, some with out-of-class enrichment activities to help students fully explore the content.
- Use augmented reality to visualize DNA or create digital media.
- Explore the chemistry of food.
- Learn how to run a business.
- Use UMW’s Geographic Information Systems laboratory and outdoor excursions to create mental maps, printed maps, and online story maps.
Explore courses in STEM, business, history or follow a special track in cyber security. Check out additional courses and course descriptions.
Participants live in a UMW residence hall with other enrichment program participants and enjoy meals in the University Center dining hall, all while learning from inspiring faculty members who love to teach.
A fee of $1,200 covers tuition, room and board, course materials, field trip transportation, and recreational activities. Reduced fees may be available.
Applications are due March 20, 2023. Find out more at the Summer Enrichment Program website: umw.edu/summer/sep.
FREE to High School Students!
Old Dominion University Gene W. Hirschfeld School of Dental Hygiene and the Delta Dental of Virginia Foundation are pleased to announce the 2023 Dental Health Summer Institute. This interactive, FREE, virtual five-day learning opportunity will be held June 26th-June 30th, 2023 and will focus on a variety of dental health topics. In addition, the course will guide students through the application process in applying to colleges and universities. All classes will be taught by faculty and staff at Old Dominion University and Delta Dental of Virginia Foundation. Students will receive a dental lab kit for hands-on activities.
If interested, ask students to fill out the Dental Health Summer Institute application by March 3, 2023. Space is limited! Acceptance notifications will go out in April.